Goshen Recreation & Open Space Plan
In 1997, the City of Goshen, Indiana Parks and Recreation Department partnered with the Eppley Institute to develop a Recreation and Open Space Plan. The aims of this plan were to:
- Establish a strategy to meet future needs
- Set priorities for allocating resources
- Resolve which agency should provide services, and
- Assess the value of parks to the community, the local economy, and the environment.
In order to implement the Open Space Plan, the Eppley Institute:
- Conducted stakeholder interviews, surveys, and public meetings
- Analyzed current and future expenditures, trends, and demographics
- Improved training
- Cultivated citizen feedback
- Developed community partnerships, and
- Created long-range capital asset and financial projections.
This process resulted in the building of a new community and nature center, which ensured the protection of an environmental corridor and the extension of the popular trails and green space network.