Gary Parks & Recreation Master Plan 2009-2013
The City of Gary, Indiana Parks and Recreation Department called upon the Eppley Institute to compile a master plan to establish priorities and define realistic objectives for the revitalization of the City of Gary parks system.
The Eppley Institute:
- Evaluated the physical condition and accessibility of existing parks and amenities, and current park and recreation programming.
- Evaluated current policies, department organization and budget, objectives and constraints and provided a benchmarking analysis.
- Developed a public engagement plan including stakeholder interviews, focus group meetings, a Community Leaders workshop, a Partnership Breakfast, and community forums.
- Set realistic, attainable goals and objectives that reflect current Department and City issues focusing on health, youth and neighborhood revitalization.
- Provided a guide for park and recreation program development and park activity concentration that reflects community interests across age groups, basic needs of the population, and essential funding issues.
A specialized Master Plan was developed for the City of Gary Parks and Recreation department along with a strategic plan and action plan. The plan was created specifically for Gary taking into account the financial hardship, and status as one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in the United States. The resulting Master Plan has brought the community together behind the common interest of the role of the parks system in working toward a healthy, safe community.